Monday, October 19, 2015

Tribute to Marian

October 15, 2014


A few months ago Aunt Marian got a bad cough and finally went to get it checked out.  The doctors couldn't find anything and it just kept getting worse and worse.  Finally, they found that she had lung cancer and that it had progressed very far. We found that news out about a month ago, and she has quickly been declining from there. Finally, on October 15th, our dear Aunt Marian passed away. I don't think I've written enough about Marian on my blog to do justice to the heartbreak I feel, so let me let you in on why I love this woman so much.

When I was a new freshman at BYU I was called to be Relief Society president in my ward. I had never even been to Relief Society, let alone run one, so needless to say I was in over my head.  So I had a woman who was my advisor who showed me the ropes and was with me every step of the way. That woman was Marian.  I just loved her! But that was just summer semester.  Then I moved to Wyview and I lost track of her.

Fast forward 5 years. I had just gotten home from my mission and was living with Marie Nadsady, a friend from the mission, who I had wanted to be companions with. One of the first weeks at church I met Lance, and about a month later we went on our first date. One of our early dates was going to his aunt and uncle's house to watch a movie on their projector. I felt a little nervous about meeting his aunt and uncle, but it was even more awkward when I got there.  I introduced myself and Marian said "I already know your name!" And then proceeded to hug me like she knew me. I knew I recognized her but was completely confused. I found out later that Lance had gone to Lynn and Marian's house to tell them about me.  He said my name was Annie, and she said "Annie Clark? She plays the harp?"  He was shocked that she knew me.  But then he never told me about that happening. I was shocked when we got to their house and I knew her. Tricky Lance.

In my last semester at BYU I was newly pregnant and sick as a dog, but I had my senior recital looming over my head.  I wasn't practicing enough at my house so I asked Marian if I could bring my harp to her house so I would have someone to be accountable to for practicing.  I asked her to be my "tiger mother" for the next few months so I could pull the recital off.  She did exactly that. She called me if I hadn't been to her house in a while.  She fed me dinner countless times, and she helped me stay calm and sane during a really stressful time.  She was always good at keeping a level head and helping me to do that too.

When we moved back to Utah for our switch in jobs, Lynn and Marian once again came to our rescue.  They let us stay with them until we were able to find a house.  They even helped us in our final decision-making for what house to buy.  They have always been there with good advice.

Marian will never know the impact she made in our family. And I love her like a mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment