Friday, October 23, 2015

Suzuki Training

April 24 - May 2, 2015

BYU got a grant this year for all of the harp faculty and students to be able to do the Suzuki Book 1 training with Mary Kay Waddington - the person who started Harp Suzuki. It was an incredible opportunity to learn how to become a better teacher and to learn the Suzuki method.  

For nine days we all met at Nicole Brady's house to learn from Mary Kay.  We had to learn and memorize the Suzuki Harp Book 1.  It was a bit daunting for me since I am not really in a practicing stage right now. Actually, to even be in the class I had to memorize and send in a video of me playing Hindemith Sonata No. 1.  I think we probably did 20 takes of the video before I had one that was good enough.  

During the class at Nicole's we would pass off the pieces in Book 1 and learn how to specifically teach each piece.  Mary Kay critiqued all of us as we played - from the best of us to the worst.  It was enlightening! 

Mom came and took care of Joanne during this time - which was wonderful!! I drove to Nicole's with Anamae Anderson every day and we had a great time! I loved spending time with her!

Seven harps were stuck in the room for us to play on. 
A tight squeeze!

The whole group (minus Janet!) in front of Lyon and Healy from left to right: Nicole Brady, Misha Farnsworth, Cami Anderson, Laura Bennion, Jane Clark, Bianca Collings, Katie Graham, Lindsey Wheeler, Eliza Holland, Anamae Anderson, Me, Mary Kay Waddington, Lethicia Caravello, Hannah Cope

No comments:

Post a Comment