Monday, October 19, 2015

BRCA1

August 29, 2014

Less than a year ago, my Aunt Christine got tested to see if she had the BRCA1 gene. She got tested because she has ovarian cancer, and there was enough evidence that it was genetic that the doctors recommended the test. She ended up having the gene. My dad volunteered to take the test so that all of my siblings and I would know whether to have the test. It turned out that he was positive meaning that I would also be  tested.   

I was tested, but it takes a month to find out the results.  I found out my results 15 minutes before my job interview at BYU.  Not ideal timing.  I found out I am positive.  I was pretty sad with this news, but it is such a blessing to know. Now I can be aware and do something about it. And gratefully, somehow, my interviews still went OK and I got the harp teaching position at BYU.

Having the BRCA 1 gene means that I have a substantially higher chance of getting breast, ovarian, and fallopian tube cancer than women who don't have this gene. I copied the statistics I found from www.cancer.gov


Breast cancer: About 12 percent of women in the general population will develop breast cancer sometime during their lives. By contrast, according to the most recent estimates, 55 to 65 percent of women who inherit a harmful BRCA1 mutation will develop breast cancer by age 70 years.
Ovarian cancer: About 1.3 percent of women in the general population will develop ovarian cancer sometime during their lives. By contrast, according to the most recent estimates, 39 percent of women who inherit a harmful BRCA1 mutation will develop ovarian cancer by age 70 years. 

What this means to my life right now is that I have to have a mammogram and an MRI every year until I finally decide to have a double mastectomy and my ovaries and Fallopian tubes out. This will probably happen for me at about 35 years of age. 

I am grateful that I still have time to have children, and that I am aware of this gene, so I can do my best to be the healthiest possible to avoid cancer at all costs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment